Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Wonder Woman

I've been home from Fitness Ridge for a little over a week now. The transition back to regular life was actually pretty hard on me. It's amazing to me how quickly I became comfortable with life at Fitness Ridge. I still miss it. I miss the resort, the people and the way my life was there. I was so nervous to be home. I just kept feeling like I was going to fall back into my old patterns. I came home to a very busy week. I had to go out to dinner for events with my friends twice and had a house party to go to on Saturday.
I actually did really well. The two nights I went out to dinner I looked up the restaurants online before I went to make sure I would have healthy options. I planned what to eat and stuck with the plan when I got there. I was most worried about the house party on Saturday night. These are the friends that I usually drink with and I was worried about how I would handle that. The party was at my friend, Sera's house. She called me ahead of time and asked how many calories I can have in a day. It turns out most of those friends are trying to get healthier too so the food would be healthy. Chris and I found the recipe for a 90 calorie margarita and I was pretty excited that I'd actually be able to have a drink.
The party was a lot of fun for me. I got to have a margarita, we ate kabobs off the grill that were wonderful and I even made Fitness Ridge's chocolate covered strawberries for dessert. I saved enough calories for the margarita and that was nice. My friends were incredibly supportive and had questions about my trip. I was very pleasantly surprised by how supported and happy I felt.
The next day I went hiking with my friend Tera and her little boy and our dogs. It feels so good to be able to do things like that with friends. Before Fitness Ridge I'd have been too embarrassed to go hiking with Tera because she's in great shape and I'd have thought I would hold her back. We also talked about the experience and I told her about some of the emotional issues that I believe led to my weight gain. It was a little scary to open up about some of those things but also a relief to get it off my chest.
On Friday night Chris and I went to my parents' house. I hadn't seen my Mom since I'd gotten home and I loved telling her about the experience. We had dinner there and breakfast in the morning. I wasn't worried about eating there because my parents' eat healthy food anyway, and this was no exception. In the morning Chris, Dad and I went on a 3-4 mile walk with my dog and my parents' little Shih Tzu Archie.
Over all, I am surprised to find that eating well has been the easiest thing to do at home. Exercise takes more work to keep up with. My husband is amazing support with that as he has started pushing me and holding me accountable. I am grateful for that change in our relationship. We have always enabled each other to be lazy and eat badly and now we're changing that pattern.
Since I've been home Chris has lost 12 pounds by eating well and exercising. I've lost 7 pounds since I've been home, bringing my total so far to 22.
A couple of pretty big things have happened since I've been home. My friend, Jen, had a stroke on Monday night (a week ago) and was rushed via life flight to Salt Lake. She is still in intensive care and on a ventilator. We are very lucky that she's still with us and still fighting. Please pray for my friend.
On Tuesday I gave my two weeks notice to the job I've had for 3 1/2 years. My last day will be this Friday. It's been very sad for me to say goodbye to the kids but I know I'm making the right decision.
When one of the kids I work with first saw me last week he said "Oh! Short hair!" about 10 times. He likes long hair and I think he was bothered that I cut off so much. Then he said "Skinny!" I was thrilled. These kids don't know how to lie and they never say things just to flatter you. He really noticed I lost weight. It was great!
Lastly, my amazing friend Malynda has been just one of the sweetest people in the world to me. When she saw me she immediately said that I looked a lot smaller and every time she sees me she says she can't get over how different I look. She calls me Wonder Woman and posted this picture to my Facebook.
If that's Wonder Woman, I can live with that. I still have some work to do.

6 comments:

  1. It's hard to open up to people and put yourself out there. Especially when you feel they might be better than you at something. Just remember YOU there are things that you do better than some and THEY might find that intimidating.

    Everyone struggles. Some are just more vocal about their struggles than others. Some hide it really well too.

    I struggle with asking for help, staying home too much, and taking compliments.

    I'd almost rather take a beating than ask for help, even though it's nice sometimes to share things with others and get their advice or help. I'm a HUGE home body, however one needs to get out often or it will drive them crazy. There are a lot of things I do well, pay me a compliment and I'll give you 99 reasons why you are wrong.

    I guess I'd encourage you to have FAITH in yourself and faith in others. Probably I'm saying this mostly for me than you. Being healthy is a daily challenge. Know you'll make good choices and have areas for improvement.

    All your hard work is paying off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - 22 pounds in such a short time is REALLY impressive. Wonder Woman does seem like a fitting name! It's interesting to me that eating healthy is the easiest thing for you. I've always been the opposite... I can usually fit in a workout, but eating healthy is hard. Probably because working out is just one part of the day and then it's over. But eating healthy is constant - A LOT of little decisions throughout the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for being who you are and being in my life. Truly inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jamie
    It is so true. No fluff. You once told me that I was an inspiration for you to get healthier - that I was doing so well with my goals. It was easy then, I had a baby in me that was my first priority. What is hard is sticking with health goals and making them part of your life because you care about yourself enough to do it. That is what I see in you. You want to remake yourself and the woman I know is in there is as much a wonder woman as any I've ever seen actually do it. You don't need Fitness Ridge, you don't need any of us to tell you how amazing you look or amazing you are doing but we will keep doing it because you are an inspiration for us and now that you are back I keep thinking about all of the things I need to and want to be doing. Thank you for being amazing, lady.
    I love you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are amazing Jamie! I really enjoyed our hike together on Sunday. I can't believe you've lost seven more pounds since you've been home; that's fantastic. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so happy you're doing the blog again. It's nice for the rest of us and theraputic for you. Sounds like Chris is getting with the program too. Kudos to him''' And wonder woman will never have as nice a boobs as you. Love ya

    ReplyDelete